We have been overwhelmed by the good wishes and wonderful stories so many of you have shared with us. For us, Doug was a great brother and son, along with being a meticulous pilot, a pioneering engineer, and a giver of time and talent.

Most importantly, thank you for your friendship and generosity at this difficult time. Doug would have wanted all of us to celebrate and embrace the life he lived – he lived it well.

The Bourn Family


Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sense of adventure.

posted on behalf of Dave Raaum

I used to work with Doug at Zilog back in the late 1970’s. In 1988, a
group of friends, including Doug, signed up for a heli-skiing trip to
the Purcell Mountains in British Columbia. I didn’t have a still camera
with me, but took quite a few videos. I extracted the attached pictures
from those videos. The pictures aren't the best quality, but do convey
Doug’s sense of adventure.




Doug was a lower intermediate skier upon arrival, but his improvement during the week was remarkable. Most skiers at his level would never have even considered going into the back-country where we were skiing, but Doug jumped right in and worked at his powder-skiing skills. Actually, I think he enjoyed the helicopter rides as much as the skiing. He was always good-natured, and ready to lend a hand to someone.

When my kids were 8 and 6, he invited the family to go flying up to the Nut Tree for lunch. He explained everything he was doing during the flight, and let me try to flight straight and level for a short period.

Doug bought my first house in Santa Clara in 1981, and I think he may have been still living there.

We’ll all sure miss this brilliant, kind friend.

Regards,
Dave Raaum

No comments:

Post a Comment