We have been overwhelmed by the good wishes and wonderful stories so many of you have shared with us. For us, Doug was a great brother and son, along with being a meticulous pilot, a pioneering engineer, and a giver of time and talent.

Most importantly, thank you for your friendship and generosity at this difficult time. Doug would have wanted all of us to celebrate and embrace the life he lived – he lived it well.

The Bourn Family


Thursday, February 25, 2010

Passing along his knowledge.

posted on behalf of Greg Renda


I was excited to find out when Doug was hired at Tesla that he was also a pilot. It’s great to have someone to talk flying with and even more so with him since he was also an instructor. In order to keep your pilot certificate current a pilot has to have a flight review with an instructor every two years. So when my flight review came due I asked if he would do it. The flight review requires one hour of “ground” instruction where you go over regulations and procedures and one hour of actual flying.

Going into it I wondered if Doug might “take it easy” on me since we were co-workers. Hah! We must’ve gone at the ground portion for a good couple of hours and I was sweating at the end of the flying. But, unlike some instructors, none of it was adversarial. Doug was truly interested in passing along his knowledge and helping you to be the best pilot you could be. And, of course, have fun!

Fast forward two years and it was the same thing all over again. Doug loved to teach and took being a flight instructor very seriously. I’ll be thinking of him during my next flight review and I hope that I’ll be lucky enough to have an instructor that can measure up to Doug’s example.

No comments:

Post a Comment